I started my blog as a creative outlet but somehow ended up doing reviews at the expense of creativity, probably because getting creative is so time consuming! I’ve decided that I would try a different approach to my reviews so let me know if you like it.
Some of the best beauty bargains can be found in the Boxing Day sales. Here’s how I get value for money and stay sane!
I just realised. Yesterday I wore a face full of favourites. It’s my simple daily look with a pink base so I felt oh-so-pretty! It’s a fresh, Monday morning pick-me-up look but I’d love it any day.
No proper pictures of my face (the commuter/outdoor selfies were awkward) but you can get an idea from my Instagram page (@tashasface).
On to the kit:
So here’s my third and final post on the Bel Age Anti-Ageing Show (the others are here and here). One of the best things about going to shows is that you can discover new brands and find out more about existing brands. The people on the stands will have good product knowledge, can offer advice and for smaller brands, you might even get to meet the founders/makers!
At Lancôme, I was asked what my skin concerns are. I don’t think I have any huge problems – dry cheeks, oily nose, dullness in winter. I was advised to exfoliate, which I hadn’t bothered to do for some time. Exfoliating has several advantages:
I first encountered the Lancôme Miracle Cushion on the beauty blogs and was really looking forward to trying it and buying it.
I went to my local Boots counter and spotted that there are currently only six shades which has attempted to cover a broad range of skin shades from light to dark. Clearly with only six available shades, the range does not cater for all skin shades or undertones but I was hopeful that there would be one for me.
The consultant first tried 04 Beige Miel but this was way too light for me. She then tried 05 Beige Ambré but this was too dark! The foundation felt lovely on my skin but this time it just wasn’t meant to be. At best, I might be able to wear Beige Ambré in the summer after I get a tan.
I understand that as this is not just a new product, it’s a new concept in the UK so Lancôme are just testing the waters before they make more shades. I’ll keep my fingers crossed that the Miracle Cushion is a hit so I can get one made in my shade!
I had several reasons for creating this look. I was going to a friend’s birthday party and I wanted to look like I had made an effort, but not over the top. It was fairly casual. I was wearing a lime green Zara top with black American Apparel high-waist nylon tricot leggings so I had to make sure my make-up didn’t clash.
I had also just bought Maybelline Color Tattoos, Soap & Glory kohl pencils and I had received a HD brows palette in the Latest in Beauty Glamour Edit box and I wanted to try them all out. This look is quite simple:
- YSL Le Teint Touche Eclat in B70 all over my face including under my eyes
- Sleek Face Contour Kit in Medium 885 – the dark in the hollows of my cheeks, sides of jawline and sides of forehead with the highlighter on my cheeks and down the middle of my forehead and nose.
- A little Seventeen Instant Glow Gold Bronze Shimmer Brick on the apples of my cheeks
- Soap & Glory Smoulder Kohl waterproof eyeliner in Superblack on the waterline and lower lashline
- Maybelline Color Tattoo in Immortal Charcoal on the eyelids only, applied with a medium firm angled liner brush
- I blended the eye colours a little to soften the edges slightly using my No7 eyeshadow brush
- Benefit They’re Real Mascara
- Dark Brown in the HD Brows palette to define my brows
- No7 lip liner in 20 Nude all over my lips
- Lancôme Juicy Tubes in Cerise
I used these together as I wanted glossy lips that were not too orange or too pink.
I really wanted to try out my new e.l.f. matte lip colour in Praline so here’s my quick 6 product look:
- Bobbi Brown Illuminating Finish Powder Compact Foundation SPF12 in Golden 6 applied with my EcoTools powder brush
- e.l.f. studio matte lip colour in Praline
- Bobbi Brown eyeshadow in Mahogany 10 to define my brows using the angled liner end of my Bellapierre dual brush
- No7 Natural Blush Tint in Spice applied with my No7 blusher brush
- Lancôme Le Crayon Khol in Silver 025
- Bobbi Brown Lash Glamour Extreme Lengthening Mascara in Black
Episode 3 of The Face USA currently showing on Sky Living HD was make-up wise, all about statement lips. The actual challenges were a Vogue eyewear test shoot and a lingerie commercial.
Devyn was rocking bold lip colours throughout. She picked the colours I want and wear. For the eyewear test shoot she wore red-pink lips with red-pink cheeks and pared back eyes. This is a look I wear when my hayfever prevents me wearing eye make-up – I emphasise my lips and cheeks.
She then wore orange lips with what I will call a “done but natural” face. I love this – when I don’t have time for any make-up I just put on a bright orange lip and leave the house. I am still searching for my ideal orange – one that has the impact of fuchsia pink.
Finally, for the lingerie commercial, Devyn wore a simple smoky eye and nude lips. Stunning! Sandra wore pale pink lips, almost pastel, with medium pink cheeks.
I have a real weak spot for fuchsia and Karolina Kurkova wore them in this episode. Oh how I wish I knew what brand and shade!