I met Abi of Chrystal Images at a Keziah Connections networking event. Abi is a makeup artist and she suggested that we do a collaboration, with me picking the theme. I was at a loss until I spotted a woman wearing gele on the Chrystal Images Instagram page. Inspiration suddenly hit – I’ve never worn gele before and it’s clearly a skill that Abi has so why not base my look on this intricate headwrap?
So first, a little about gele from my experience. I regularly see Nigerian and Ghanian friends wearing gorgeous headwraps to special events and when they are going to church. The more special the event, such as a wedding, the more elaborate the headwrap. I’d always admired the beauty of them but never tried myself. There are many ways to tie the headwrap and you’ll find that each African country will have its own style. It’s my understanding, for example, that Ghanians tend to go for a more understated look whereas Nigerians really go to town! Either way, they look gorgeous.
I think that the headwrap in Nigeria is called gele which is what I am wearing. You can see that it comes down over my ears leaving the lobes exposed so I can wear earrings. Like myself, you might be wondering how it stays in place. The key is to use a stiff fabric then be prepared to put in some hard work! I got the distinct impression that not just anyone can wrap hair in this way and make it look pretty. It’s held I place with lots of pins and can slide of like a bespoke hat.
The gorgeous pink fabric is complemented by the stunning makeup Abi created for me. She knew what she had in store for me but I didn’t. I love colour and I don’t usually wear pink on my eyes but Abi did an amazing job and I love it!
She put me at ease and was meticulous, making sure everything was perfect. Here’s the final look up close:
If you’re makeup obsessed like me you’ll want to know all about the makeup used and see some kit pics so here’s the list…
- Eyes: Urban Decay x Gwen Stefani eyeshadows in Skimp, Stark, Danger, Pop and Zone
- BH Cosmetics matte brown and shimmery pink eyeshadow from the 120 Color Palette 5th Edition and the 120 Color Palette 3rd Edition
- Eyeliner: Urban Decay 24/7 Glide-on Eye Pencil in Perversion, Milani Cosmetics Liquid Eye Liquid-like Eye Liner Pencil and Rimmel London Soft Khol Kajal Eye Liner Pencil in 071 Pure White
- Lips: MAC Lip pencil in Magenta and
- Milani Cosmetics Lipstick in Rose Hip 14
- Foundation: Mud Cosmetics Cream Foundation in GY1, GY2 and GY3
- Contour: Milani Cosmetics Pressed Powder 05 Earth Glow
- Highlight: Mary Kay Timewise Matte-wise Liquid Foundation and MAC Prolongwear SPF 10 Foundation in NC44
- Powder: Milani Minerals Compact Makeup in 108 Medium
- Blush: MAC Prolongwear Blush in Stubborn
- Concealer: Motives Cosmetics Mavens Sculpt Series in Fire
- Glow: Urban Decay x Gwen Stefani Blush Palette on cheeks and Urban Decay x Gwen Stefani Eyeshadow in Bathwater in the inner corner of the eyes
…and here are the pics:
It takes a lot to look flawless! Abi used lots of brands that are new to me. I have heard of most of them, but have never used Milani, Motives , Mary Kay, BH Cosmetics or Mud Cosmetics before. It’s just as well I love trying new makeup!