On occasion, it gets quite hot in the UK and no, we can’t cope! There’s a good reason for this; as we only get hot weather for about 4 weeks in a year, air conditioning is seen as a luxury rather than a necessity.
London Underground is hotter than an oven simply because the system is Victorian and it is very difficult to modernise with air con. Giant fans have been installed where possible so you can get some respite. A particularly irritating train company that shall remain nameless had the genius idea of sealing the windows shut and having us rely on intermittent aeroplane-style breeze. Nothing beats fresh air!
Offices might have “comfort cooling” but let me tell you there is no comfort in it. While individual shops might have air con, lots of shopping malls don’t. Air con is just a rarity to the extent I just want to hide out in my car all day (air con was an added extra).
Rant over, here are my top beauty tips for surviving the hot weather in the UK and other temperate climates with random hot spells:
- Keep hydrated inside and out. Drink plenty of water. No amount of makeup will hide skin that is physically caving in due to dehydration.
- Carry a facial mist. My current favourite is Shisedo Ibuki Quick Fix Mist but I also love my Avène Eau Thermale because they are handbag sized, cooling and can set makeup.
- Make sure your mascara and eyeliner is waterproof otherwise it will melt all over your face.
- Keep the rest of your makeup to a minimum so you don’t get too uncomfortable. Swap foundation for tinted moisturiser. You might even be able to skip blusher as the heat might leave you with a natural flush!
- Tap on a lip stain or tinted lip balm because even lipstick and gloss is more likely to smudge. If you must have a bold lip, make sure you have a mirror with you to check for any colour escape (I have forgotten mine on a couple of occasions).
- Embrace the dewy look because there is no point trying to get a matte finish. Blot away excess oil with tea tree oil blotting papers. They will soak up oil without leaving powder behind.
- Use a light golden oil on your limbs (and anywhere else you want) to really catch the sun’s rays whilst keeping your skin moisturised. I like Evolve Leg Satin Leg Gloss and Nuxe Huile Prodigieuse. You can even use the latter on your face and hair!
I’ll also share with you my hot summer makeup looks.